Tuesday, November 27, 2007

It's the End of November??

What a busy two weeks I have had! Actually, I've been pretty much on the go since the beginning of October (it was a beautiful wedding, Julie!) with either somewhere to go or something to do at home. I am a homebody, but have been glad for the opportunities to keep my mind off of my "aloneness."

Two weeks ago I headed out for a fast trip to the midwest. First stop was my brother in Ohio. He had purchased a home in May, and I wanted to see it as well as him. It was a long 13-hour drive to get there, something I haven't done in a very long time. But it was worth it to spend the time with him. We roamed through the air museum at WPAFB the next day--airplanes are somewhat of a hobby/passion for him, and I am always interested in anything to do with history. Granted, there are very modern models there, too, which were no less interesting to me. We had no where nearly enough time.

I left him the following morning and headed to Indiana for a one-day stopover for a local church convention. My parents were also there, and I wanted to see them. One of the preachers that I enjoy hearing was the evening speaker. It was a small meeting, but enjoyable.

Leaving there the following morning I headed to my in-laws toward the southeastern part of IN. We had an early Thanksgiving dinner with Chris's grandparents making the (for them) arduous hour-long trip. I was very humbled that they would do this, and we had a good time of eating and visiting. My mother-in-law and I of course had to go shopping, and I managed to find some bargain prices on Christmas presents for my nephews. We haven't ever spent time together like that, and it was nice to be able to do so. I was only there for a few days and headed back out on the road to get home. Surprisingly, as many hours as I spent on the road, I wasn't road-weary like I expected to be. God is good in even small things.

Once home I spent Monday and most of Tuesday getting ready for a visit from my parents and grandmother. I have thanked God for my family, but this week it seemed to hit me just how much I AM thankful for my parents. They have been traveling a great deal, and had just arrived home themselves the Friday before they came out here. I trust their visit was restful, though, since I managed to take care of all of the cooking (except for breakfast because they get up too early for me :-p), and we didn't try to find things to go and do. We did venture out a few times. Since my husband-hero is abroad, my first hero, Dad, helped me fix some things with the lawn mower that I was concerned about. What a weight off my mind. I hadn't realized I was so concered about it until after it was done. I plan to use it sometime later this week to give the yard one last cutting and rid the yard of the fallen leaves as well. Thanksgiving dinner came off without a hitch--my first!! I cooked a turkey breast (kind of cheated there, but we didn't need a whole turkey) which was unbelievably juicy, and also had a small ham. Dad has to watch his sugar/starch intake, and so there weren't any of the standard carbohydrates other than sweet potatoes. Fresh green beans and asparagus, Waldorf salad, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie for dessert. I think I surprised both of my parents at my ability to plan it, prepare it, and get it on the table in a timely fashion. I think I surprised myself a little, too...... Anyway, Dad's birthday was Saturday, and he got a from-scratch sugar-free coconut cream pie and homemade pizza. I think all in all the visit was a good one, and I thoroughly enjoyed being the hostess.

And now I am back to just me. Chris starts the day shift tomorrow, and we both hope he will be less bored. We are almost at the half-way point and are now at the place where we can start saying, at least every once in a while, "we only have.....left" instead of "it's only been...."

I am blessed beyond measure. Help me, Lord, to express my thanks to you every day.

3 comments:

Nic Ridley said...

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you've had a fun trip!

Zana said...

Avril! I'm so happy to find you online! The professor (GTS) and I left VA this summer, and are now residing in Glencoe, AL... so if you head up north for any of the upcoming holidays we must plan to get together. 8-) You can find me at http://pygmypuffsandheffalumps.blogspot.com

cheery hugs,
your walkin' buddie (SS) from PHC

mom said...

Av~~Yes, you did a wonderful job in your planning and carrying out the cooking. Grandma and I were glad to be your support team, nodding yes to ideas and giving hints where needed :).
And it was a very wonderfully relaxing visit, not having to 'run' somewhere everyday. I just wish we could have gone to the wild animal park next door to your area. But rain has a way of keeping one indoors.
I take it when you're here at Christmas you'll be looking up a friend?