Monday, August 13, 2007

I Thought I Lived in the Country

I was excited to view the Perseid meteor shower last night since it was supposed to be the prime and peak viewing time. While I did see a couple streaks in the sky, one which seemed to be close to the tops of the trees, how disappointed I was once I got outside. Until last night I hadn't realized just how many of my neighbors have ruined our country nights by having STREET LIGHTS. And wouldn't you know the worse offenders were in the exact direction that I needed to face last night--toward the north. I expected some residual light from the city 10 miles up to the north. Why do people move to the country and drag their STREET LIGHTS along with them? Stay in the city if you want city surroundings. It's as bad as people moving from DC to Winchester for the country living. That's what they say, but they forget to count the cost--living in the country means you don't have all the comforts of city-home living like your favorite store/shop right around the corner. So they petition for those businesses to move into the area and, voila, metropolitan enlargement. ARGH As hot as it has been during the day, we even had a relatively cool night for star-watching. Motion lights on the corner of the house I can understant, but not the continual lighting from country street lights. What an oxymoron.

2 comments:

mom said...

Remember when we first moved to Bakerton, WV and how country it was Country store with hams hanging from ceiling hooks, yard or farm implements for sale, candy counter, even the quaint post office. Then people from D.C./Maryland began moving in. The mindset was artsy and citified. Some folks kept the countryfied ways, but not like the old timers. And the schools were changing to be like the city, countryside grew shopping plazas, roads were four-laned, etc. I'm glad we knew it back 'when.'

Pete and Julie said...

Hey Avril:) How's it going? I've beent thinking about you lately.

I do check your blog, I'm just bad about commenting:)

Julie